Re: Linux kernel file name

Riccardo Facchetti (fizban@mbox.vol.it)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:31:54 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

> > > 1. There is an exported list of symbols, that are needed to allow linking
> > > in the modules: /proc/ksyms.
> > > This is not the complete symbol table.
> >
> > This makes that feature rather useless IMHO.
>
> Agreed, but then it was not supposed to be a System.map file equivalent
> that is HARDCODED (ie. excess baggage) in the kernel.

No. But as far as I can suppose, the "expanded kernel" (after boot)
contains the symbol table (text and data).
May be I'm saying a stupid thing, but why not doing something like a
mapping of the kernel (executable in-memory, alredy expanded) in the /proc
filesystem ?
Something like /proc/kernel on which do nlist ?
I'm sorry because I know I should work on it and then speak, but I have no
time at all to investigate on such an idea.

Ciao,
Riccardo.