Re: file descriptors once again

James L. McGill (fishbowl@fotd.netcomi.com)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:02:17 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Oskar Pearson wrote:

> > Sorry to ask this question again. It's been asked tons of times and I just
> > forgot the answer.
> > I need to allow 1024 file descriptors for my kernel per proccess.
> > How do I do it?
> Ok - I know this is now ancient, but there doesn't seem to be a complete
> answer to his question, and the 25th November was my birthday :)
>
> Have a look at http://www.linux.org.za/tweak.html

Are there any reports of what breaks as a side effect of this?

I recall that I had to recompile the NFS server, the Apache server,
and that there was talk of being required to recompile libc.so.

AFAIK, yours (Oskar) is the best reference on how to do it,
with the additional warning to change resource.h.

Also, what if we want to go beyond 1024 filehandles?

I do not understand the relationship of __FD_SETSIZE to NR_OPEN,
or what the /proc/file-max, &c, pseudofiles are supposed to represent,
or whether changing them is essential.

--
g-r-a-t-e-f-u-l-l-y---[   email:<fishbowl@conservatory.com>   ]---l-i-v-i-n-g
d-e-a-d-i-c-a-t-e-d---[ http://www.conservatory.com/~fishbowl ]-----l-i-g-h-t