Re: Mega Patch #8, or "Why stop now while we haven't broken it all"

Edward Welbon (welbon@bga.com)
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 12:45:24 -0600 (CST)

On 11 Dec 1996, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> In linux.dev.kernel, article <32AE0E7B.34F3D918@mindspring.com>,
> flove <flove@mindspring.com> writes:

> > route forgot to specify route netmask.
> >
> > This is caused by these two statements in rc.inet1:
> >
> > /sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> > /sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0

> Hmm. Net 127 should still default to a Class A network...

I have added explicit netmasks to every conceivable route and
ifconfig, but still this message. It seems that the following
will always eliminate this message.

(1) executed in rc.inet1 script:
/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0

(2) start pppd dialup using default route immeadiatly after
executing:
/sbin/route del default

When the connection is established, the continuous "route forgot to
specify route netmask" message stops. ??

Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;