Re: QUOTA (was: Proposal: restrict link(2))

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.wal.rhno.columbia.edu)
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 23:26:06 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

> > Since this is a quota issue, let's just focus on that: If QUOTA's are
> > enabled, we restrict hard link to the owner. Otherwise quota is non-viable.
>
> This is the first reasonable thing I've read in this thread.
> Will everyone please make your opinion of THIS IDEA known,
> or present an alternative (ie. let's get on with it).

Not only the first reasonable, but also the best thing to do.

On a second thought, though... quotas are great if you want to prevent
your users from writing to certain filesystems without having to scan all
directories for stray write permissions. So, I think a run-time option
would be better, settable by quotaon/off. I'm fine even with having it
turned on by default by quotaon, but it should be optional, not imposed.

Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.