Don't beat me up either (mm suggestions)

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:01:19 -0500 (EST)

On 26 Nov 1996, Kevin Buhr wrote:

> An amusing anecdote:
>
> One day, right out of the blue, my poor little 8 meg machine went
> loco. It began generating reams and reams of "Couldn't get a free
> page" messages. I was away from the console, and it churned madly
> away for several hours before I was able to power cycle it.
>
> "Fortunately", I'd added the priority and size to the "Couldn't get a
> free page" message in my kernel (2.0.13 vintage, I believe), and I
> immediately realized that I was seeing request after request for a
> 2-page block at GFP_NFS priority. Eventually, I traced it back to
> this culprit in "fs/nfs/proc.c":
(clip)

Have a rubber mallet handy, I may need some smacks, if it was
this simple, it would already be in there.
(In fact it may already be...)

... but I had two "ideas" on this and am wondering whether they
will work (and probably, why they will not).

First, if the kernel wants 16K of memory, why doesn't it look
for 16K in one place. In other words, instead of trying to free
the pages one at a time, try to grab the group of pages that
have the oldest cumulative "age" or "latency" _and_ are
contiguous. While this seems quite expensive, it would actually
run in linear time. For a block of (n) pages, you would loop
through, with sum = sum - age[i] + age[i+n]; to get each new
sum. Keep track of the stalest-so-far, and then free mem[i]
through mem[i+n]. Obviously the staleness of an unfreeable
block is very very low. (Maybe the current method runs in
constant or O(log n) time or something, then ignore this.)

Second (probably more viable): would it make sense for the
kernel to keep a bunch of (contiguous) memory set aside, say
128K or a working twice or thrice the probable-maximum for DMA
and other immediate needs, and use it as a read-only-caching, so
you can always throw it away without blinking. If a user should
write one of the read-only sectors, the system puts the waiting
to be written data elsewhere.

There could perhaps be a garbage collection process, which would
run when the system had a smaller than desireable amount of
contiguous ram in this state; it would try to "grow" these
areas, by marking areas of memory as targets, and these would be
migrated to only-read-buffering by forbidding other things,
encouraging read buffering, and eventually removing
non-discardeable pages.

When enough blocks of memory were acrued, the garbage collector
task would be idle (except the system would obey the marked
purposes of the contiguous areas) and the system would run as
normal. When the amount got too small, the garbage collector
would run, the smaller memory left, the more aggressively. The
percent-time spent on garbage collection would be a curve such
that the system would never run below a fixed value, ie the
garbage collector would tend toward 100 % CPU when the system
had the minimal amount -- in practice only if DMA I/O was the
only activity would the GC get much CPU.

So, is this feasible?

--kmb203@psu.edu---------------Debian/GNU--1.2---Linux--2.0.25---
Develop free apps? http://www.jagunet.com/~braddock/fslu/org
"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike."