Re: Problems booting 2.1.15

Christian Hardmeier (chrigi@infinite.loop.org)
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 14:21:33 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Ian Bonnycastle wrote:

> Greg Alexander writes:
> >On Sun, 15 Dec 1996 ian@greywolf.mail.net wrote:
> >
> >> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> >>
> >> line, it just stops. Nothing happens. Anyone have any ideas?
> >
> >Do you know that it is mounting the correct file system? Does it have
> >support for the right type of thingies (a.out or ELF) to execute
> >/sbin/init ?
>
> Yep. I compared the .config's for both of them. Identical. Also, the file
> system is the same one that works in 2.1.14. (I'm using 2.1.14 now). So the
> rc.d files are the same. No idea why 2.1.15 hangs. I wonder if it might be
> the fact that I don't have the right version of init. Thats the only thing
> I can think of.

Unfortunately I missed your original message, but as it looks here, it
might be the same problem as I had with kernels 2.0.2[34] on one of my
machines. It just locked up after the VFS message. I tracked it down to
the execve() call in init/main.c that is supposed to start /sbin/init. It
returns ENOENT although /sbin/init is there. I never investigated further;
the machine's running happily under 2.0.26 now.
It might be a kernel version problem. In fact all was fine with the
pre-compiled Slackware 2.0.0 kernel, and all is fine with my own 2.0.26
kernel, but it wouldn't work with 2.0.23 or 2.0.24.
Maybe it would help to compare the execve() implementation and the
filesystem code of the various kernels. Were any changes made between
2.0.0 and 2.0.23, between 2.0.24 and 2.0.26, and between 2.1.14 and 2.1.15
(assuming the problem you have is the same as I had)?
I, too, am pretty sure that my kernel was correctly configured. In
particular the hd driver, the ext2fs, the ELF and a.out code were
compiled in.

Christian