Re: Proposal: restrict link(2)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 15:36:10 +1100

Marek Michalkiewicz writes:

> Theodore Y. Ts'o:
> > Someone in Devel can trivial give write access to Beta Report merely by
> > leaving a setgid devel program in their homedirectory.
>
> I don't see any good reasons why ordinary users should be allowed
> to set set[ug]id bits. Perhaps that should be disallowed (at least
> as an option)? Would it break any standards?

Yikes! No!!!! There are good reasons why users should be able to set
the uid/gid bits on files they own (remember: set-uid is set to the ID
of the *owner* of the file, not necessarily set-uid to root).
This whole thread is getting ridiculous! People are beginning to
suggest disabling legitimate features left, right and centre!
Let's be a little more creative. Please.

Regards,

Richard....