Re: Possible kernel optimization

Bas Mevissen (sgm@stack.nl)
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:58:12 +0100 (MET)

Joe Fouche wrote:

> Sounds OK with me, but why stop there? Make every part of the kernel
> internals a module. Then, to upgrade a system, one unloads everything except
> the module code, then reloads all the new modules except the init module,
> then loads the init module. And boom, it boots again. :) So upgrading is
> only necessary when updating the module code.
>
> I'm sure this is just as easy as it sounds. :)
> --
> _ ____ Joe Fouche (jf@ugcs.caltech.edu)
> ___| |--- Deranged College Student

That would be great indeed. If you need a different behaviour of your
system, then you can simply change a certain kernel module.

For example:

- Changing the memory manager for people with less memory

etc...

It would make live easier for kernel developers: simply plug in a new
module. No longer recompile and link of the kernel !

Bas.

--
E-mail: sgm@stack.nl, S.G.A.H.Mevissen@stud.tue.nl
PGP: Finger sgm@toad.stack.nl for PGP public key, KeyID 3B896721