Re: Oh yes it has (was: Kernel v1.2.13 won't compile)

Christian Hardmeier (chrigi@infinite.loop.org)
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 13:15:22 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:

> Well that's an old problem, you don't want to use the vmlinux, it's the
> uncompressed version, use the zImage that used to be produced in the root
> of the source tree, but is now placed in linux/arch/i386/boot for the
> reasons that it's really as architecure dependant as you can get ....

Certainly, but wouldn't it be a good idea for the Makefile to symlink it
into the source tree root? It has happened to me several times that I
accidentally took the wrong file, and the machine crashed on boot-up.
After building an i386 kernel, the Makefile might just link
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage to /usr/src/linux/zImage-i386.

Christian