Re: Serious ext2fs problem

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 03:20:12 -0500

From: Chris Adams <cadams@ro.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 13:21:15 -0600 (CST)

Once the errors start happening, they keep happening at the same place
over and over again. However, if I stop INN, umount the drive, mount
the drive, and start INN, everything is happy (I had it giving me the
above error twice everytime I tried to tell INN to "go"). Since I
umounted the drive and remounted it, it has been running just fine for
~24 hours. That doesn't seem like hardware to me.

On the contrary, this sounds very much like a hardware error, where the
SCSI bus, the SCSI controller, the DMA transfer, or your PCI/ISA bus
somehow flipped a bit on read, and the corrupted disk transfer got stuck
in your buffer cache.

Since unmounting and remounting the filesystem fixed the problem, this
most certainly exonerates e2fsck and the ext2 filesystem code, at least
as far as the theory that the ext2 kernel code is detecting some wierd
error condition which e2fsck isn't fixing.

- Ted