Re: [Offtopic] Russian Hacker

Nicolas St-Pierre (draggy@kosmic.org)
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 10:07:55 -0500 (EST)

Looks like the person

1. got hold of one of the user's password.
2. put in the libroot.so trojan horse
3. telneted into the machine seting the LD_PRELOAD with the path to the
library
4. Thus got in without a login prompt as root.

So as you were asking.. the person did not get the password. He/she/it
just got around it.

There should be a fixed telnetd somewhere you can use that limits
environment variables. Or you can recompile telnetd.

Nick.