RE: too much untested code in new kernels

William Burrow (aa126@fan.nb.ca)
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 23:28:15 -0400 (AST)

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997 linuxsys@ssg.com wrote:

> It's clear that a volunteer effort with minimal funding can't be
> expected to deliver the sort of rigorous testing one hopes a major
> company would do but there are all too many posts to this list which,
> in effect, say "oh, silly me, make the ':' on line 102 a ';'". These
> are not subtle errors or problems of interaction but problems with
> typographical errors and misspelled variables, etc.

Perhaps if the developers themselves do not have the time to go through
their own code or test it, a team of Linux dev testers could be formed?
The idea would be to stress, in particular, those sections of the kernel
that had been changed, rather than to attempt to use the kernel for
general use.

> Before someone thinks I'm dumping this all in Linus' lap, I'm not.
> It's clear he's got his hands full and the rest of the developers need
> to take up the load he can't be expected to handle with the present
> demands on his time.

Some seem to take a lackadaisical attitude towards these untested code
type bugs, but this type of bug can catch up to you later. Code that is
known to work at various stages may still break due to subtle
interactions later, but at least it isn't subtle interactions with broken
code.

--
William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network, New Brunswick, Canada
Copyright 1997 William Burrow