Re: to beep or not to beep...

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 17:56:18 +1100

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997 06:52:32 +0100 (MET),
Hirling Endre <micimaci@thunder.sch.bme.hu> wrote:
>I've run into the following not severe but annoying problem while using
>Linux at night in a student hostel: I couldn't find a simple way to
>disable all sounds(beeps) that sounds e.g. when I mistype a filename and
>press tab to complete it.

echo -ne '\033[11;0]' sets bell duration to 0 milliseconds on a text
console. You need to reissue that command after any console reset and
for each text console you have active. xterm has -vb, other X
applications may have to be done separately. The man page for
console-ioctl lists a couple of ioctls for beep, never tried them.