Re: how do you prevent all kernel files from being recompiled?

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 23:21:37 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Jim Partan wrote:

> I'm working on developing a new driver, and I don't want to recompile
> every file when I only make changes to one or two files.
>
> I'm sure the answer is quite simple, and I'm displaying my ignorance, but
> I haven't figured it out. If someone could help me out, it would save me a
> lot of time!

I'm not 100% sure it's safe to do...but back when I was fighting with a
TMC-850 based SCSI card (playing with the driver #defines) I just did make
zImage again without doing a make clean. This stops unchanged portions of
the kernel code from being recompiled...and speeds up compilation
considerably on a slow box.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______