Re: IDE drives and Intel P200 Pro

Larry M. Augustin (lma@varesearch.com)
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:40:37 -0800

I don't know what motherboard is in the Dell system, but Intel did
have a batch of VS440FX motherboards with bad National I/O controller
chips. Those boards were identified with Intel's lot number
AA660849-410. We caught these during testing before shipping to
customers. The NS chip controls floppy, serial, parallel, mouse, and
keyboard I/O. Failures may show up as keyboard errors, failed serial
ports, etc. Dell does use some Intel manufactured boards. Perhaps
"Intel P6NATOMA" is Dell's designation for the VS440FX, or the bad I/O
controller chips made it onto other boards.

Larry