Re: AHA2940UW UltraSCSI option

Sudish Joseph (sudish@mindspring.com)
12 Jan 1997 17:07:54 -0500

Joachim Achtzehnter writes:
> [Posted and mailed]
> In article <198165FC2@ekspress.ee>,
> "Magnus Hiie" <Mgn@ekspress.ee> writes:
>> ... found the following line in drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.c:
>>
>> static int aic7xxx_enable_ultra = 0; /* enable ultra SCSI speeds */
>>
>> So, it appears that I've been using Linux without UltraSCSI enabled.

> You need to enable UltraSCSI speeds in the board setup (you get there
> by pressing certain keys during boot). Then the Linux aic7xxx driver
> automatically enables UltraSCSI support. You can verify this by looking
> at the file /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0.

Adding aic7xxx=ultra to lilo's append= options gets me

scsi0: Target 0, channel A, now synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset 15.
Vendor: SEAGATE Model: ST32155N Rev: 0318

Better than being synch at 10.0MHz. :) This is with an AHA2940U. The
option isn't documented, I think, but is present in the options struct
in aic7xxx.c.

Re: tagged queueing. I've been running with it enabled and
CMS_PER_LUN set to 8 for a couple of months with no problems.
However, someone else has posted here saying that data corruption
occurs if you use more than one drive with those settings.

Anyone have any definitive info on this?
-Sudish

PS: Does the yggdrasil list gateway work in both directions? Mail CC
added just in case.