Re: modutils, the next generation

Derrik Pates (dpates@Cavern.NMSU.Edu)
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 12:16:21 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Martin Buck wrote:

> Sorry, no answer to your question, but I've got another question concerning
> modules and their recognition:
> Why do modules use .o as extension? Of course, they're object files, but
> very special ones, so an extension like .mod would make much more sense,
> IMHO. If I remeber correctly, the old insmod/depmod/modprobe (never looked
> at TNG) even checked for .mod in some places, but it didn't work because
> the check for .mod was missing at some other places.

I'd say .mod is not a good extension to use - it's already used by a music
file format. But, if we want to give loadable modules their own extension,
how about .m or .k or maybe .km ?? Just food for thought.

Derrik Pates
dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu

"What'll you two lovable plush toys have?"
"How 'bout a root beer popsicle and an Orange Julius? What about you,
Max?"
"Dishwater! And put it in a dirty glass!"
-Sam & Max
"Fair Wind to Java"