Re: aic7xxx and tapse (Was Re: How to force a kernel panic ?)

John Henders (5ar4ro$ri7@bogon.com)
14 Jan 1997 08:54:45 -0800

In <Pine.LNX.3.91.970113081047.1639A-100000@chaos.analogic.com> "Richard B. Johnson" <root@analogic.com> writes:

>If I execute:

># ls -R /mnt

>With /mnt containing a MS-DOS file system. The result can't be saved because
>of the panic that results. Basically, there are a bunch of "Queue full"
>messages, followed by timeout messages, followed by SCSI reset then aborting
>the SCSI command messages, followed by 'aiee freeing interrupt', going
>down hill from there.
[...]
>The basic reason for the crash is that the SCSI device is being asked
>to read beyond the physical end of the media. I verified this by hacking
>the code. A sector-number of 0xA0001AFF starts this off with my MS-DOS
>file-system. The media only contains 4406960 512 byte sectors, i.e.,
>0x433EB0. I think there is a signed/unsigned problem somewhere in
>the code........

This is very odd. I have a 1 gig dos (vfat) partition on my 2 gig scsi
drive and I can do the above test without a problem. I wonder if the
problem is with the aic driver or the msdos file system code.

As to the scsi tape problem, have you tried lowering the bus negotiation
speed on the card for the exabyte. As someone else noted, there's no
problem with Archive DAT's at all. I use one regularly on my 2940.

--
      Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.