Re: modutils, the next generation

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
14 Jan 1997 20:57:10 GMT

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.94.970113121433.16950A-100000@Cavern.NMSU.Edu>
By author: Derrik Pates <dpates@Cavern.NMSU.Edu>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Martin Buck wrote:
>
> > Sorry, no answer to your question, but I've got another question concerning
> > modules and their recognition:
> > Why do modules use .o as extension? Of course, they're object files, but
> > very special ones, so an extension like .mod would make much more sense,
> > IMHO. If I remeber correctly, the old insmod/depmod/modprobe (never looked
> > at TNG) even checked for .mod in some places, but it didn't work because
> > the check for .mod was missing at some other places.
>
> I'd say .mod is not a good extension to use - it's already used by a music
> file format. But, if we want to give loadable modules their own extension,
> how about .m or .k or maybe .km ?? Just food for thought.

There is another problem with kernel modules: they are not
self-contained, but are only part of what a device driver needs to
be. I have been meaning to write up a proposal for a "supermodule"
system to solve this, which would include additional components than
the kernel module proper.

-hpa

--
This space intentionally has nothing but text explaining why this
space has nothing but text explaining that this space would otherwise