Re: What is System.map for?

Derrik Pates (dpates@Cavern.NMSU.Edu)
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 12:30:54 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Richard Henderson wrote:

> No. The symbols seen by modules are those explicitly exported from
> the kernel via the get_kernel_syms or query_module system calls.
>
> Yes, there is or has been a hacked version of insmod floating about
> that would use System.map used by, I think, the old dosemu module,
> but that is Not Right wrt other things such as the GPL and very
> nearly invoked the righteous wrath of our fearless leader.

Well, when I have tried building a kernel on another machine with modules,
then just transferring the kernel and modules without the System.map, I
end with Undefined symbol messages when I try to load the modules, and I
know that I'm using the standard modules package (I'm using kernel
v2.0.27).

Derrik Pates
dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu

"What'll you two lovable plush toys have?"
"How 'bout a root beer popsicle and an Orange Julius? What about you,
Max?"
"Dishwater! And put it in a dirty glass!"
-Sam & Max
"Fair Wind to Java"