Re: AIC7850 on IWill board refuses to work since 2.0.26

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 11:26:12 -0800

From: "Wolfgang Baudler" <baudler@lulu.gsf.de>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 12:46:58 +0100

There is a change at the beginning:

In kernel 2.0.25:

/* limits */

#define MAX_CHRDEV 64
#define MAX_BLKDEV 64

In kernel 2.0.26 and the following kernels up to 2.0.28:

/* limits */

#define MAX_CHRDEV 128
#define MAX_BLKDEV 128

If I change MAX_BLKDEV back to 64 everything works well again. MAX_BLKDEV is
used in linux/drivers/scsi/scsi.c.

The use in scsi.c is only in a routine that's compiled #ifdef DEBUG_TIMEOUT, so
it seems rather unlikely that's the problem.

What version of GCC was being used to compile the kernel? Perhaps there is a
compiler bug that this change tickles. You'd think if this were a widespread
problem we'd have heard about it sooner.

Leonard