Re: Writing to CDR drive...

Paul Christenson (paull@tech.cyclades.com)
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 23:56:18 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> I'm using a cdd200 and it works great! I've now cut over 400 CD's
> using this drive.

I picked up a CDD2600 (the successor to the 2000), and am having a heck of
a time. So far, I've made nothing but a couple of frisbees and/or
coasters. (Apparently SCSI bus errors. I think I have a bad host card; my
tape drive doesn't work right, either.)

Since I'm now in the market for a new SCSI host adapter. What do you have
that works so well? (And are you using an IDE or SCSI HD for your staging
drive?)

One last question.. What's the best way to duplicate a 9660 disk? I've
tried:

dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/dev/hdb1 # hdb1 is my staging partition
cdwrite --device /dev/sgda /dev/hdb1

Will this work?? (If not, what will?)

The ability to dupe audio CDs would be nice; however, I really have to
question using a $10 blank to copy a $14 CD...

> The blue CD-R's do not have the "track record" of the Green or Yellow
> CD-R's but Verbatum (the Blue CD-R manufacturer) claims they have a longer
> shelf life and better reliablility than either of the other two styles. I
> believe that Fuji is also marketing these style blanks.

The blanks that came with my drives are VERY blue. The Fuji disks are a
blue-green. Memorex disks are green. The Fuji and Memorex disks are the
cheapest that Fry's had.

| This is OFFICIAL WRITTEN notification that I want to be REMOVED |
| from ALL commercial mailing lists. EVERY message sent from this |
| account has had this request posted. ALL UNSOLICITED ADVERTISEMENTS |
| SENT TO THIS ACCOUNT ARE IN VIOLATION OF FEDERAL (U.S.) LAW. |
| Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Cyclades Corporation. |