Re: Question about Boot Time Options:

Derkjan de Haan (derkjan@cal012041.student.utwente.nl)
23 Jan 1997 15:24:57 GMT

In article <32E752DB.3D73938A@www.rpa.net>,
"Scott T. Traynor" <scottwww@www.rpa.net> writes:
> I recently have gotten a machine with 256 megs of ram, and i was
> wondering if one of you could help me?
> basicily linux 2.0.27 is telling me i still have only 64 megs of ram in
> the machine? i heard that there was a boot time option to
> pass through, and also, my kernel i compiled is way to big, does anyone
> know what size it has to be in K, in order for me to be able to
> use lilo?

- If your kernel is too big (>500 Kb), use 'make bzimage' or something like
that instead of 'make zImage'. That option has been specially made for
kernels with a lot of drivers in it, as they tend to become rather big.
- Linux does not probe for more than 64 Mb. Use the option "mem=256M" with
lilo to tell the kernel to look for all 256 Mb.

regards,

Derkjan