Re: youngest Linux wizard ever

Robert Wuest (rwuest@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 16:24:50 -0600

rse-3@juno.com wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, is there like some record of the "youngest
> Linux
> wizard ever"... There's got to be some record, with such an
> easy-to-use,
> user-friendly operating like Linux... ;)

> Linux, the only true operating system. Get it at
> ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/slackware or call 1-800-786-9907.

My son has been using it since he was 3 years old. I took an old
computer, put it in his room and put him on the house. He just turned
five. Wiard might be stretching it, though. He can log in, starts, can
play galaga, doom (he's not bad, but he always wants to do that on mine
'cause it's got better sound and graphics), scribble with xpaint and
bang keys like you wouldn't believe.

I really like it because there's really nothing he can do to harm the
system, no matter what he types (the same is true for my wife!) Unlike
the other neighborhood kids who have dos and windows machines at home
and their parents are scared to death to let there young 'uns on. They
think I'm crazy, and I guess they're right, I'd never have let him just
play with dos or windows as the OS. The kids like to come over and play
and I know it'll be allright. They really like to type to each other
with talk!

Bottom line, he's no wizard, but Linux is clearly user-friendly enough
for small children. Now I need educational games for him.

--
Robert Wuest, PE                Empowered           Kemet Electronics
Sirius Engineering Company         by           robertwuest@kemet.com