Re: "selectable kernel patches"

Greg Alexander (galexand@sietch.bloomington.in.us)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 20:57:55 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997 rse-3@juno.com wrote:

> About this type of downloading just the drivers, etc. you need
> instead of the 6 meg tarred/feathered file, how about a dedicated telnet
> server running a program that asks you which kernel-source you have now
> and then asks you what drivers/modules/updates you want and then builds
> you a patch file. Or maybe you could send an email to a mail-server and
> get a document back from which you can select certain drivers/patches and
> then mail it back (kind of like gophermail) and it could send you a
> tarred/feathered/uuencoded file and install it on your system. Or another
> approach might be to have a web page with a Java program ........ This
> could easily happen if someone would just build the web page, write the
> telnet program, or put up a mailserver.

I think that the closest thing that would be reasonable would be for you to
have a CGI-interface like menuconfig, which would make a .config, copy it
into a source directory, and compile source. I'm prepared to make this one,
though I'd be somewhat surprised if anyone has a webserver they want to
subject to this...unless someone volunteers, I'm not even gonna bother.

Greg Alexander
http://www.cia-g.com/~sietch/