Re: Packaged Kernel

W. Reilly Cooley (wcooley@navi.net)
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 05:16:56 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Neptho T. wrote:

> Same problem.. I for one absolutely refuse to have ncftp. My connection is
> stable, I dont need resume, and I absolutely hate the way it looks... I
> recall there have been "upgrade daemons" they would be possible to strip
> to see how they utilize ftp and such, but still, same deal...

No, no, no. I'm not asking you to upgrade to NCFTP, nor am I suggesting
that a packed kernel also use NCFTP. I'm just making a functionality
comparison (perhaps I could have used tftp, which I believe can perform
similarly if the host allows tftp access). My current ftp client is >60k.
A hacked one with strictly limited functionality and added
command-line-get support could take substantially less. Let's call this
monster "inst_ftp", and recall that it is a *tiny* binary--with no
functionality except logging in and getting a file. I'm talking about a
"make config_ftp" that generates and executes a script such as:

#!/bin/sh

INSTHOST=sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/kernel/v2.0/package

inst_ftp $INSTHOST/drivers/sound/cs4323.gz &>> inst_get.log
inst_ftp $INSTHOST/drivers/sound/docs.tar.gz &>> inst_get.log
inst_ftp $INSTHOST/drivers/char/console.gz &>> inst_get.log
etc.

In later runs of "make config_ftp", inst_get.log could be check to
ascertain the necessity of a particular package. All decisions about
which packages are necessary would made in "make config_ftp".

My work primarily involves the design of software installations, and we
do something similar using generated DOS batch files (ugh) and Brief
macros. I know if it can be done with those abominations it can be done
with make and shell scripts.

Wil
W. Reilly Cooley
The Naked Ape Consulting
1509 NE 10th Ave., #104 Portland, OR 979232
503 287-2165
wcooley@navi.net
http://www.navi.net/~wcooley

As a service, I provide analysis for viruses and poor grammar to senders
of unsolicited commercial e-mail at a rate of $250 per hour. Delivery of
said correspondence constitutes a request for the afforementioned services
at said price.