Re: Question about Boot Time Options:

Ingo Kemper (ingo@muc.de)
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 02:24:52 +0100

Hi Scott!

> Von: Scott T. Traynor <scottwww@www.rpa.net>
> An: submit-linux-dev-kernel@ratatosk.yggdrasil.com
> Cc: scott@www.rpa.net
> Betreff: Question about Boot Time Options:
> Datum: Donnerstag, 23. Januar 1997 13:00
>
> I recently have gotten a machine with 256 megs of ram, and i was
> wondering if one of you could help me?
> basicily linux 2.0.27 is telling me i still have only 64 megs of ram in
> the machine? i heard that there was a boot time option to
> pass through, and also, my kernel i compiled is way to big, does anyone
> know what size it has to be in K, in order for me to be able to
> use lilo?
>
> Thanks for the time, and effort,
>
> Scott Traynor

You can use the boot option "mem=256MB" or write it into the "append" line
of your lilo.conf.

If you compile your kernel with "make zlilo" there's a limit of about 500
KB (the uncompressed kernel has to be less than 1MB), if you use "make
bzlilo" there is no limit. Use modules for devices not needed at boot-time
(floppy, printer, tape, scanner, ISDN, Ethernetcards, etc.).

Have fun
Ingo