Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #718

Evan Jeffrey (ejeffrey@eliot82.wustl.edu)
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 23:16:31 -0600

>From: Eric Hoeltzel <eric@dogbert.sitewerks.com>
>Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 16:14:46 -0800 (PST)
>Subject: IDE not ready
>
>I'm getting a lot of these. Presumably my drive is going bad?
>I haven't make any changes to my system for quite a while and
>these are increasing in frequency.
>
>Thanks,
>Eric
>
>dogbert:~# hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
>hda: drive not ready for command
>hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
>hda: drive not ready for command
>hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
>hda: drive not ready for command
>hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
>hda: drive not ready for command
>ide0: reset: success

I just finished fixing the same problem today. Check your power supply.
The problem with my system was that the PS was failing, and couldn't always
keep enough power supplied. If the HD spins down a little, it will have to
do a reset. Or at least this is what I figured out, because occasionally I
could hear the drive whirr a little bit like it does while accelerating.
Anyway, put in the new supply, and all was well. I would suggest that you
turn the computer off till you get a new power supply, I don't suspect it is
good for drive (or the rest of the computer) to have such flaky power.

Evan Jeffrey
ejeffrey@eliot82.wustl.edu