Re: Small fixes for 2.1.23

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.wal.rhno.columbia.edu)
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 01:12:13 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Trevor Johnson wrote:

> Thanks; with your patches, the sound module compiles for me with only this
> one warning:
>
> soundcard.c:330: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type

Hmm.. I thought I had taken care of it. I should have been more
careful.. in fact, the thing will crash if somebody uses select/poll on a
sound device. In other words, don't use it for recording, or even better,
use only the mixer.

The fix isn't very obvious this time, and there is a lot to be done, so
I'll let Hannu redesign it (if he so chooses). The function a driver has
to provide for polling has changed its parameters (hence the warning), and
with just a couple of examples and no inner knowledge of how the sound
driver works... it would be tough for me to rewrite it. Especially that
internally it calls another 3 sub-polls for each sound subsystem and each
of those has to be rewritten as well.

Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.