Re: 2.0.28 problems.....

Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca)
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 16:43:39 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Tristan McCann wrote:

> INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> Going multiuser...
> Jan 27 14:56:43 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
> Jan 27 14:56:43 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
> Mounting remote filesystems...

This is armless and is a glitch in the ifconfig utility. It is simply to
curious :-) and ask about IPX and Appletalk protocol for no useful reason
(in sockets_open() ). When it asked, the kernel which does not know what
is this protocol, turn to kerneld to load the appropriate driver.
ifconfig could check in /proc/net to see if these drivers are loaded and
if not, not bother with them at all I guess. Who maintain ifconfig btw, we
can fix this problem for good.

You can avoid this problem by adding

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off

int /etc/conf.modules

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf