Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #725

Evan Jeffrey (ejeffrey@eliot82.wustl.edu)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 14:53:15 -0600

>From: Rob Glover <potato@dsnet.com>
>Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:55:33 -0800 (PST)
>Subject: NexGen-90
>
>Hi all, I just came into the possession of a NexGen-90 motherboard+CPU.
>anyways, I was wondering how it would perform under linux, and if i will
>need and kernel patches to make it run properly.
>
> -Rob

Is that the chip they call a 110 even though it has a 90 MHZ clock? If so
(and probably if not), it has problems with 486/pentium instructions. I
tried to get MS NT 4.0 (beta 2) to work on it, and in short, it wouldn't.
(requred a 486, and wasn't easily fooled. Rumor is that MS was getting
complaints about how "Windows NT runs too slowly on my 386/25" so they
dropped support) Anyway, you can try a 486 kernel, but I wouldn't count on
it. Or look for patches, though I haven't seen any. Also, at one point,
AMD was exchanging Nx586 MBs for one with their fancy new chip if you call
and say you want to run MS NT 4.0... In any case, it should run fine with a
386 processor.

Evan Jeffrey
ejeffrey@eliot82.wustl.edu