Re: AHA-2940UW Nightmares (Apparently ext2fs errors ?)

Helmut Riegler (helmut%gurk@stveit2.net4you.co.at)
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:35:00 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Marco Bravi wrote:

> Dear Linuxers,
>
> I have been happily using an AHA-2940 with a SCSI and DAT streamer for
> quite a while in a computer room at my Dept. After such a nice experience
> I bought two AHA-2940UW and two SEAGATE ST32155W (2 GB).
>
> I replaced the old (2940) card with the new (2940UW) one and simply
> appended one of the two new disks. The card was correctly initialized (see
> kernel-related syslog later); I low-level formatted the disk, partitioned
> it with only one file system and high-level formatted it as ext2.
>
> When I tried to copy all the contents of the old /usr partition (2 GB on
> /dev/hdc1) the nightmare began---see errors below (and other types that I
> could not dump).
>
> I tried the copy both with:
>
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
> cd /usr
> cp -a . /mnt
>
> and:
>
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
> cd /usr
> tar cvpf - . | (cd /mnt; tar xvpf -)
>
> The copy goes on for about 500-650 MB and then errors begin to appear;
> some files cannot be copied, then others are copied correctly, then other
> errors again (ad libitum).
>
> Is there any SCSI-guru out there willing to help me?
[Error messages snipped]
> Jan 30 21:01:49 pcainf2 kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 08:01):
> ext2_add_entry: bad entry in directory #88145: re
> c_len % != 0 - offset=0, inode=400, rec_len=46863, name_len=8256
> .
> .
> .
> (same on other inodes)
>
> -----------------------
> Machine type:
>
> i486 PCI (busmastering) / ISA (1 slot ISA/VLB) mainboard
> 32 MB RAM
> 2 ISA HD, 1 ATAPI cdrom (and, sigh!, 1 SCSI disk...)

Hi,

A few weeks ago, I posted a similar message into this list. I had the
following configuration:

AMD 486DX400
ASUS PCI486SP3
But: NCR53C810 SCSI controller
EIDE + SCSI disks

Yes, I have an other controller, but the error messages were quite similar.

One week ago I upgrgaded to a new main board + processor:

Intel Pentium 100
ASUS P/I-P55T2P4

and since then I have not problems any more.

Ok, take a look into the PCI-HOWTO. There are many tips about different
main boards, their buggy EIDE chipsets, and how you can make workarounds.

I'm now using kernel 2.0.25. It has many options which you can specify at
compile time or at the command line for different EIDE chipsets.

I found some information at www.suse.de (you have to understand german)
about such problems. There is a support database avaiable (probably in
english too).

Look at the homepage of adaptec, or your main board company. Probably you
can find information there.

One interesting point with my problems was, that the IDE devices alone
were working fine and the SCSI devices alone were working. But as soon as
I accessed both at the same time, the problem appeared.

Somebody told me that my board has problems with two busmastering devices
(Onboard IDE + SCSI). But I haven't followed this tip since my upgrade.

Another tip was to upgrade my BIOS (shudder). I had a flash bios.

These are only some pointers, but I hope this helps.

Oh, please tell us exactly, which main board and which BIOS version you
are using.

Helmut

| Helmut Riegler | FALKO Standard Ges.m.b.H | |
| Domplatz 7 | Modecenterstr. 14 | Greetings |
| A-9342 Gurk | A-1030 Vienna | |
| 04266/8597 | Tel: ++43/1/7980180 | from GURK |
| 04266/8560 | Fax: ++43/1/7980184 | |
| helmut-riegler@net4you.co.at | company: helmut.riegler@fast.co.at |