Re: cpu unknown

Stephan Meyer (sensei@munich.netsurf.de)
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 17:53:40 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, urbani wrote:
> I run Linux kernel 2.1.24 on IBM PS/2 model 77 MCA, from /proc/cpuinfo I have:
>
> processor : 0
> cpu : 486
> model : unknown

AFAIK, Linux gets the model, vendor_id, stepping and flags information
by doing table_lookups using values gathered from CPUID instruction's
output. Norton Utilities has a huge portion of detection code to
accomplish this on your CPU.

> clock_rate : no_tsc

Thanks for using my patch! Your CPU doesn't support the RDTSC processor
instruction which reads the number of cycles spent by the CPU since
turning on the computer. My patch is reading this value twice with an
intervall of a 1/10 second to compute the clock speed.
Probably, Norton Utilities can compute the clock speed, because it knows
how many clock cycles a specific instruction takes to execute. That's
quite complex and it's becoming more and more obsolete as even non-Intel
CPUs now know CPUID.

> vendor_id : unknown
> stepping : unknown
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid : no
> wp : no
> flags :
> bogomips : 32.87
>
> in dos with Norton Utylity I have :
>
> processor : Intel 486DX2
> clock_rate : 66 Mhz
> stepping : 33
> codice processor : 4
>

> Can someone tell me something about it ?
> tahnk you Marino.

Hope this helps,
Stephan

Stephan Meyer