Packet accounting counters switch to 64 bits?

Marc MERLIN (merlin@magic.metawire.com)
2 Feb 1997 12:24:17 -0800

In article <m0voyCE-0005FcC@lightning.swansea.linux.org.uk>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> Another bug seems to be related to the firewall packet logging when
>> the machine can't write the log fast enough. Flood ping the machine
>> from a local Ethernet (luckily a 64kbit/s BRI doesn't seem to be
>> fast enough) crashes the machine reliably. Aside of the the way
>
>Thats odd. I test that by flood pinging and otherwise bombing 2.0.x boxes
>over 10baseT. 2.1 cleans this up with a netlink device that allows you
>to receive the packets that the firewall bounces
>
>> the kernel accounting of packets is implemented is more or less
>> a bad joke performancewise.
>
>Its designed for up to about 100 entries. I'd measure its performance
>before assuming its a joke BTW. It works fine

Is it possible to have 64 bit counters instead of 32bit counters for packet
accounting? I have a machine sitting on a busy ethernet doing logging and I
get on the average 1 to 2 GByte/h, so the byte counter loops several times
a day.

Thanks,
Marc

--