Re: reliability

Eric Hoeltzel (eric@dogbert.sitewerks.com)
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 16:31:49 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Systemkennung Linux wrote:

> I can top that - today we shut down our local Mud machine (usually
> heavily loaded) running Linux 1.2.13 after an uptime of 366 days and

At what point do you need to reboot due to the jiffie counter wrap
on i386? I seem to remember 433 days mentioned. It's quite impressive
to say to the customer, "Well sir, we will need to reboot this
machine once a year. I'll just put that command in cron." Or he
could get an Alpha if he needs it up longer. Would I be correct
in mentioning Sparc too?

Once I had netscape inform me that it was about to expire. No
problem. I just left it running for the next three months until
I had the time to deal with it. This is all probably off topic.

Cheers,
Eric