Re: UDB mixer settings

Hannu Savolainen (hannu@voxware.pp.fi)
Sun, 9 Feb 1997 20:16:58 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Philip Blundell wrote:

> This small patch changes the default MSS mixer settings so that the line
> input is not enabled at bootup. It stops the irritating hiss that you
> otherwise get from the sound system on a UDB.
>
> I think it would be good if it were included in the standard kernel.
> People who want to use the line inputs can enable them by hand; I think
> it's fair to assume that the majority of people don't use these inputs.
These inputs are used for FM/MIDI, CD-ROM and/or line in signals in
most systems. Just very few (improperly designed) soundcards leave them
unconnected which causes noise. Setting the initial volumes to zero is
likely cause major confusion since it makes important signals inaudible in
most systems.

Best regards,

Hannu
------