Re: CD Jukeboxes

Paul H. Hargrove (hargrove@sccm.stanford.edu)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 15:11:07 -0800

Alan Cox wrote:

> > I think this should not be limited to SCSI CD changers. There are also
> > (E)IDE CD changers, tape changers, worm changers etc. which would benefit
> > from such a mechanism.
>
> It seems sensible to map the IDE cdrom changes to "partitions" - ie
>
> /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 /dev/hda3 ...
>
> etc. and auto switch in the driver.
>
> Alan

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!!! How would you then handle partitioned cdroms?

I know, you say to yourself "Is there such a thing as a partitioned CD?"
Well, there is. Every Macintosh CD includes a partition table. In >90%
of the cases there is a single partition, but this in not always the case.
One example is a CD with one year worth of a magazines "supplement"
floppies. I know this isn't the best use of CD technology but it exists.

I know that the last time I checked Linux didn't even bother to check for
a partition table on an IDE cdrom. However, I wan't to see that change
when the various PPC ports start getting integrated into the main kernel.
Mapping cdrom changer slots to partitions would make this impossible.

--
Paul H. Hargrove                   All material not otherwise attributed
hargrove@sccm.stanford.edu         is the opinion of the author or a typo.