Re: IDE Disk Problems

Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com)
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 11:48:56 -0600 (CST)

Well, IDE drives are cheaper, and use lesser quality of components, but
there is almost NO way for linux, (win95 does 10x more IO than my linux
system) to wear out a drive.. especially in that short of a time..
(1-6months) I do think you may have other problems
1. the dead cmos batt (preveously said)
2. running a pent without a cpu fan/heatsink (a 166 will toast
itself in 1min without a heatsink)
3. faulty linux instalation
4. some problem with the motherboard
5. check the APM power settings in your bios
6. Bios update?

Have you been able to get your $$ back, or a free replacement drive for
the defective drives? For a drive of that age you should easly be able to
get replaced

I do agree with the person below.. SCSI is a much better solution for 24/7
systems like a bbs.. more expensive SCSI drives have much better
reliablility rateings. even the lowend SCSI drives match the highend IDE
ones. I prefer Quantum, Seagate, IBM scsi drives (Atlas, Baracuda, ???)
drives and models in that order (just my opinion, not anyone elses)

when looking, look for drives with good MTBF (mean time between failure)
My system runs a Quantum Atlas 2GB with a MTBF of 800000 hours (i think)
compared to 200000-50000 for most IDE drives. it also has a 5 year
warrenty, compared to no more than 3 years on IDE (ill stop my SCSI
soapbox for now)

Bearing being worn out? Hahahahahah I dont think so. especially the
spindle bearings. Hahahaahahahahah

The R/W heads in most modern harddrives are allowed to bounce off the disk
surface (under certin G forces) and retain no damage. that's the least
likely part in a drive to go bad.. usually there is a problem with the
spindal motor, or R/W head electronics