Re: Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/.../*.o?

Aaron M. Ucko (amu@mit.edu)
12 Feb 1997 21:41:47 -0500

fruviad <fruviad@coil.com> writes:

> I recompiled my kernel (2.0.18, Redhat) and now get a bunch of
> complaints upon boot. Something along the lines of:
>
> Finding module dependencies
> Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.0.18/yadda/yadda.o
>
> where "yadda" corresponds to quite a few file/directory names.

You can ignore these messages. Red Hat installs modules for a *lot*
of drivers so that users are less likely to have to rebuild their
kernel. You are probably seeing the "Unresolved symbols" message
because those particular modules require symbols found in files which
Red Hat compiled into their kernel but you neither compiled into yours
or built as modules. (For instance, you'll get messages for
everything in /lib/modules/2.0.18/scsi if you did not enable SCSI
support when you built your kernel.)

--
Aaron M. Ucko (amu@mit.edu) | For Geek Code, PGP public key, and other info,
finger amu@monk.mit.edu. | "Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous.