Re: VFS: No free inodes - contact Linus

Daniel G. Linder (dlinder@webcentric.net)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 08:50:25 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Jari Soderholm wrote:
> >> that was the last message what the machine said, before
> >> it went stuck.
> >>
> >> VFS: No free inodes - contact Linus
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > echo 11264 >/proc/sys/kernel/inode-max
> >
> I wonder how I am going to do that becauce machine goes
> stuck before it even mounted the root directory.

The system might be getting stuck because one one of the programs
running in init... Try adding the echo line as the first command in the
first rc file, or see if booting into single user mode works (from lilo,
use "linux single"). If the system is using the initrd (init ramdisk),
read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/initrd.txt and edit the boot scripts to
do the echo before the root fs gets mounted...

Dan