Re: Disk Compression

rohrer keith w (kwrohrer@cs.uiuc.edu)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 16:35:10 -0600 (CST)

> Keith Rohrer <kwrohrer@uiuc.edu> writes:
> > If nothing else, the device number wasn't registered and conflicts with
> > the Cyclades driver in the main distribution.
> You're wrong on both counts. It was registered (see
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt)
Oops, my bad; I didn't bother to check, but relied on a memory of the
double kernel patch failing when I upgraded to the kernel version which
first included the Cyclades driver, at that particular point.

>and does not conflict with
> the Cyclades driver because block and character devices have different
> "numberspaces."
That they do, though apparently at the time this was little enough used
(or they were declared in separate sequences) that it wasn't obvious from
the code.

Keith