Re: problem deleting large files on ext

Philippe Strauss (philou@sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch)
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:42:23 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, . Tethys SYSTEM ADMIN X wrote:

> I use mkisofs to create ISO9660 images in preparation for burning onto
> a CD-ROM. The ISO image is a single file, usually over 620MB. When this
> image has been burnt onto the CD, I delete it to free space for the next
> image. The images are stored on an ext2 filesystem.
>
> However, on a 750MB partition, deleting a 620MB file frequently leaves
> only 275MB free. This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it works
> fine, and frees the full 620MB, other times it doesn't. I've tried
> scrapping the whole thing and remaking the filesystem from scratch,
> but that doesn't make any difference. After a reboot, things are fine,
> and the full amount of space is free. I guess this is related to the
> fact that e2fsck reports a problem with a dtime (I think) of zero, and
> fixes it. Next time it happens, I'll try to get the exact message from
> e2fsck.
>
> Any ideas (kernel 2.0.28)?

Havent you forgotten to unmount the iso file as loopback before deleting
it?

This hapend to me quiet often, and it's hose the filesystem a little.

> Tet
>
> --
> ``Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. He is at
> best a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and
> not make messes in the house.'' -- from the notebooks of Lazarus Long
> --------------------+--------------+----------------------------------------
> tethys@ml.com | Micro$oft: | Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.
> tet@astradyne.co.uk | Just say no! | See http://www.uk.linux.org for details

----
Philippe Strauss, Telecom engineer.
finger philou@sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch for PGP key

Email: <philippe.strauss@urbanet.ch>
Homepage: http://sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense
that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"
-- Albert Einstein
----