Re: NetKit

Jakub Jelinek (jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz)
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:44:27 +0100 (MET)

> From: David Holland <dholland@eecs.harvard.edu>
> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:28:12 -0500 (EST)
>
> What do people think about the packaging? There are basically two
>
> 1. Split netkit; release rlogin 0.10, telnet 0.10, finger 0.10,
> etc., etc.
>
> 2. Merge everything else that kind of goes with netkit into netkit.
> (E.g. traceroute, ftpd, stuff like that.)
>
> I think most people will be happier with option 2, splitting things up
> usually causes a lot of upgrade confusion for most people.

I like the first one much more. It won't be necessary to download large
packages every time a tiny program in the whole suite changes, it will be
easier to find using archie-like services and it will be easier to replace
e.g. wu-ftpd with rhftpd without much pain. I think people who would have
trouble upgrading should rather use Linux distributions and they will have
upgrade packages there very very soon. Maybe it would be a good idea to keep
on the ftp servers all those programs together in one directory, like
you'll have a NetKit directory, containing rlogin-0.10.tgz, telnet-0.10.tgz,
.u$e.
Cheers .$$$$$:S
Jakub $"*$/"*$$
$.`$ . ^F
4k+#+T.$F
Jakub Jelinek, jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz :R"+ t$$B
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic ___# $$$
MFF, Charles University, Prague | | R$$k
Give your Sparc a new beginning - SparcLinux ddd | Sparc $9$F