Re: GNU Libc 2.0.1 (Linuxthreads, Crypt), with existing a.out binaries

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@i44d2.info.uni-karlsruhe.de)
10 Mar 1997 17:52:00 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970310054911.2130A-100000@hagan.reno.nv.us> Neptho <neptho@neptho.needs.a.lobotomy.com> writes:

> My question remains, is glibc going to eventually support this old cryptic
> a.out format for executables for the few programs that need it, or is this
> cheap hack "The Only Viable Solution"?

No, glibc will never have a.out support, neither in the libc nor the
dynamic loader. Even for the old dynamic loader there was a separate
program which is used for a.out so I don#t really understand where you
problem is.

The ELF loaders are named ld-linux.so.[12] and the a.out loader is
named ld.so.

--
-- Uli
---------------.      drepper@cygnus.com  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5