Re: Some VM timings and Linux

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:01:46 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Mark Hemment wrote:

> I think implementing madvise(2) is the correct way of telling the kernel
> that pages are ideal candidates for reaping. I've just finished writing

I think this was discussd before, and quite rightly, some people (possibly
Linus, can't remember too clearly) were of the opinion that user space
"hints" to the kernel are NOT the way forward. More intelligent kernel VM
handling is. Aside from being open to abuse (deliberate or otherwise), I
find the idea plain ugly. Abstraction barriers and all that.

Chris.