Re: your mail

David S. Miller (davem@darkside.rutgers.edu)
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 00:44:26 -0500

From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 06:31:41 +0100 (MET)

Almost 20 million MIPS were sold 1996. Not going away soon,
especially because a couple of companies (SGI, NEC, SNI, Toshiba
etc.) are standing behind it. If I look at DEC's performance at
NYSE I fear for the future of the Alpha most. Hope I'm wrong about
this.

Here is my contribution.... I see all 32-register or less processors
completely dead soon or at least not being any major vendors primary
processor (of course backward compatability for the old 32-register or
less cpus will be provided somehow).

Even his holyness Knuth is putting 256 registers in his next
generation RISC MMIX cpu.

Let's see if Intel is smart and puts more than 32 general purpose
registers in the P7, if not then I hope I'm not the one hacking ELF
support for that cpu...

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
ethernet. Beat that! ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><