Re: Now, why didn't we think of this before?

david parsons (orc@pell.chi.il.us)
25 Mar 1997 03:49:40 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.95.970325103338.6210O-100000@gaston.m.isar.de>,
Klaus Lichtenwalder <klaus@WebForum.DE> wrote:
>On 25 Mar 1997, david parsons wrote:
>
>> In article <linux.kernel.199703250409.PAA06192@svhmfw01.svhm.org.au>,
>> Andrew Vanderstock <ajv@greebo.svhm.org.au> wrote:
>>
>> >I'd also like to see much better boot management. The idea of an OS booting
>> >to a textual display in 1997 is ridiculous.
>>
>> No, it isn't. It's not as pretty as booting to a no-icky-text-here
>> graphical display, but it's perfectly usable. But be that as it
>> may, are you working on such a thing? I'm doing research into a
>> modification that will drop a boot picture onto the system (probably
>> the NT login banner, so dimwitted managers won't run shrieking in
>> terror at the thought of a usable OS in their hands) and would be
>> happy to drop it like a hot potato if someone else was already doing
>> the work.
>>
>Well, I don't need no freaking image on the screen,

I don't think anyone will be pointing a gun at your head forcing you
to install a no-icky-text-here graphical bootup [1].

The big problem I can see with a no-icky-text-here (NITH in the
future) is where to store the image. I think that the code to flip a
(PC) console into graphics mode would be fairly small (all the
EGA/VGA references spend a lot of time warning you that many of these
registers are write-only and it would be a bad thing to fuck with
them in a multitasking system. But during bootup it's not a concern,
as long as you get get back to text mode when you're done or some
horrible error happens[2].) but the image looks like it will be 16k
or so, and at least in my application (McAfee Webshield) I'm already
pushing up against the limits of a zImage and don't want to
completely eat up the disk with a huge bzImage, PARTICULARLY when
it's stuff that's only used once and then forgotten.

[1 but I *do* want to point a gun at the head of the commercial world,
and if that gun is a NITH kernel loader, it's a minor price to
pay so I can continue to be paid for doing Linux development.]

[2 I get back to text mode when something horrible happens by modifying
panic so that it resets the video to allegedly sane defaults just
before it halts the system.]

____
david parsons \bi/ orc@pell.chi.il.us
\/