Re: Booting 2.1.xx kernels problem

Ingo Molnar (mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.at)
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 13:00:05 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Takis Samanis wrote:

> When i try to boot 2.1.xx kernels iget this message
> "Kernel panic:smp_aloc_memory:Insufficient low memory for kernel stacks.

> I have a dual pentium 133Mhz,Soyo 5TH5 Motherboard and 16MB ram

maybe the following helps:

go into arch/i386/mm/init.c, to line ~139 and uncomment the
smp_alloc_memory() line, and delete these two lines around line ~229:

start_low_mem += PAGE_SIZE;
start_low_mem = smp_alloc_memory(start_low_mem);

[ the point is to run the SMP initialization code earlier. SMP trampoline
stacks have to be below 1M, i think because your other processor is
still in real mode. ]

hope this helps and let us know how it worked out,

-- mingo