Re: Old 2.1gig limit

thoth@purplefrog.com
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:18:42 EST

Michael Smith <msmith@texas.net> ,in message <Pine.GSO.3.95.970324213417.13291K
-100000@staff1.texas.net>, wrote:

> Once upon a time there was a 2.1gig limit on IDE drives (something
> about 4096cyl 64head 16sec limit). I am running 2.0.29 and RedHat 4.1.
> Does anyone know if this limit has been re-programmed to something
> higher, as I was about to get a hard drive larger than 2.1gig as an
> upgrade.

I have a machine with a 2.5G IDE drive in it. Linux loves it to death, as
long as I have the BIOS tell it the TRUE geometry. DOS can only see the first
500M of it when I do this, though. So, I gave all of the first 500M to DOS,
the rest to Linux, and put vmlinuz in /dosc/linux/ with appropriate changes to
/etc/lilo.conf.

Speakin' o' which, one of my pet gripes with the "make zlilo" process is
that there didn't seem to be the proper hooks for putting the kernel in weird
places with strange post-lilo goop (like what's necessary if you decide to use
the NT boot loader).

Of course, it took forever for somebody to add rdev -R /vmlinuz 1 to the
install process (or maybe they just set that variable to 1 in the source code).

---
Bob Forsman                                   thoth@gainesville.fl.us
           http://www.gainesville.fl.us/~thoth/