Re: Now, why didn't we think of this before?

Greg Alexander (galexand@sietch.bloomington.in.us)
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:03:26 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Shawn Rutledge wrote:

> My 2 cents worth -
>
> JavaOS should be ported natively to whatever processor is of interest; you
> shouldn't have an OS on top of a VM on top of a VM. Besides, for the client-
> side applications that Java was intended for, it can stand alone; Linux is
> not an end in itself, especially for those apps, and having a shell on top
> of Java is not that useful. Linux's strength is being on the server side
> of the network of Java clients, or running a combination of fast native code
> and slow Java clients.

I wouldn't even mention this if Alan Cox weren't such a supporter of
Linux-8086 because of "hack value." But you've got to admit that there's
some very very miraculous hack value to running Linux in a Java VM under
Linux. :)

Greg Alexander
http://www.cia-g.com/~sietch/
----
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a
tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes
in the house.
-- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"